Call to schedule a consultation(763) 398-1676


"Small Town Attention....To BIG City Problems."

"Small Town Attention....

                 To BIG City Problems."

"Small Town Attention....To BIG City Problems."

Call to schedule a consultation 763-398-1676

If you fail to make your mortgage payments, the bank or other lender can sell your house involuntarily to recover the money you owe. A lender has a right to proceed in this fashion because of the security interest you have given the lender in the form of a “mortgage” or “deed of trust."

Banks typically use foreclosure as a last resort because it is an expensive and slow process. However, banks will not hesitate to take this action if payments are not made over an extended period of time.

In a mortgage foreclosure, your home is ultimately reclaimed by the lender. A notice of default is typically the first document issued upon an instance of non-payment. If you as a homeowner receive a notice of default, you have a certain period of time to cure the missed payments until the lender proceeds with foreclosure. Therefore, it is important not to ignore these and to take immediate action in order to stave off foreclosure.

Once the property is sold at sheriff's sale, you as a property owner will have a period of time in which to redeem or "buy-back" the property from the lender. Your options become very limited once the property is sold, however, so it is critical to engage legal counsel before the sale takes place. Oftentimes a loan workout agreement can be effectively negotiated with the lender, or you may be able to sell the property prior to the commencement of the foreclosure.

If you're looking for a qualified and trusted Minneapolis/St. Paul bankruptcy lawyer, please call our Plymouth office at 763-398-1676 or fill out this quick form to schedule a consultation.

Informational Articles Disclaimer

This website features educational information based on general legal principles in Minnesota.  Specific legal advice is contingent upon the unique facts of each case.  Therefore, you should not rely only on this information for your particular legal issue.  Contact an attorney to obtain advice specific to your legal situation.  Read our full disclaimer.

Kelsch Law Firm is open and conducting business remotely.